Made 147nm for the 24 hours, not bad given we were thrashing ourselves into wind, sea and current. Winds dropped to below 10 knots at midnight and went dead on the nose. We are still motoring under triple-reefed main. We are heading for Dolphin reef, 45nm to go. Should be there by 4pm. At our current rate of progress we’ve done about 1,000nm per month since leaving Sydney on 28 April last year!
Position 23° 32.897′ N 36° 28.757′ E
Log 11,001 nm
Engine 353.1 h
The latest GRIB weather looks much less attractive (or maybe I’m just reading the, through the eyes of someone who’s beaten to windward all day!). Consistent northerlies are forecast for at least the next week, with some periods of fairly strong wind on Wednesday. We may have to re-group to Plan B and day sail up the Egyptian coast until we see a decent window of calm or more favourable wind.
Position 23° 05.625′ N 36° 48.846′ E
eighed anchor at 5:40am in calm conditions. Anchor was well set and came up with sandy mud on it. Motoring east initially to get out of the reefs. Washing solar panels and clear plastics while making water.
Position 21° 45.700′ N 36° 52.420′ E
Log 10,854 nm
Engine 341.5 h